If you’re working toward a career in medicine, a related biomedical or allied health profession, or wondered what biomedical science courses can help prepare you for medical school or a career in a health science-related field, this certificate program will build your basic science knowledge and skills while exposing you to one of the world’s great medical and research centres. Working with instructors from the University of Toronto’s Faculty of Medicine, you’ll learn basic biochemistry, physiology, pharmacology, and/or anatomy, while networking with both domestic and international students. You’ll acquire foundational knowledge of all major areas of human physiology and biochemistry, and learn how the body absorbs, distributes, metabolises, and eliminates drugs. Each course will provide a variety of medical perspectives that will expand your curiosity. Regardless of your career goals, this certificate will serve as the bridge between your undergraduate studies and pre-med, pharmacy, nursing, medicine, or the field of your choice.
What You'll Learn
- The mechanisms behind basic biochemical actions and reactions, from burning fat during exercise to blushing from embarrassment.
- How genetic information stored in your DNA makes you unique.
- Learn the basic principles that underlie how drugs exert their effects in the body- from drug absorption to potential adverse effects.
- The structure and function of our bodies through a regional exploration of human anatomy and physiology.
- Networking skills as you engage with students from Toronto and around the world.
- The tools to better equip you for success in graduate or future studies.
- Build a foundation in the basic life and health sciences that underlies the discipline of medicine, and all allied health professions.
- Prepare to enter medicine or a related field by developing relationships and acquiring skills you can use across a variety of biomedical science disciplines.
- Receive expert instruction from university faculty on the cutting edge of global health research.
You have three years from the start of your first course to complete this certificate.
- AND either:
- OR both of the following: